GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution
DEPARTMENT OF FOOD AND PUBLIC DISTRIBUTION
UNSTARRED QUESTION NO: 1741
TO BE ANSWERED ON 04.12.2009
Wastage of Food Grains due to Poor Storage and Transit Facilities
1741. Shri Rajeev Chandrasekhar:
(a) whether it is a fact that there have been huge food grain losses in several regions of the country, due to poor storage and lack of transit facilities; and
(b) if so, the extent of such losses for the last three years, State-wise and year wise, and the steps Government proposes to take to address the issue?
THE MINISTER OF STATE IN THE MINISTRY OF AGRICULTURE AND MINISTER OF STATE IN THE MINISTRY OF CONSUMER AFFAIRS, FOOD AND PUBLIC DISTRIBUTION
(Prof. K.V Thomas)
(a) No Sir. However, while carrying out operational activities on a large scale, small storage and transit losses are incurred by FCI.
(b) State-wise Storage and Transit Losses (wheat and rice) for the years 2006-07, 2007-08, 2008-09 and 2009-10 (Upto September, 2009) in terms of quantity and value are at Annexure – I
Steps taken to check/reduce Storage & Transit Losses are at Annexure – II
ANNEXURE REFFERED TO IN REPLY TO THE PART (b) OF THE UNSTARRED QUESTION NO. 1741 DUE FOR ANSWER ON 04.12.2009 IN THE RAJYA SABHA.
STEPS TAKEN BY F.C.I TO CHECK/REDUCE STORAGE & TRANSIT LOSSES
Security and Safety of Storage complexes
- Physical measures like installation of barbed wire fencing of the boundary walls, provision of street lights for illumination of godowns and proper locking of the sheds are taken to secure the godowns.
- Security staff of FCI as well as other Agencies like Home Guards, Special Police Officers are deployed for safety of the stocks.
- Deployment of Central Industrial Security Force and State Armed Police has been done at some depots/godowns, which are vulnerable.
- Security Inspections as well as surprise checks of the Depots are also conducted from time to time at various levels to detect and plug the security lapses.
- Special Squad checking at selected rail-heads, transhipment and destination/despatch centers.
- Identification of vulnerable points.
- Inspection of Depots by Senior Officers of the HQs, Executive Directors (Zone) /General Managers (Region)/Area Managers.
Quality Control Measures
- Periodical prophylactic and curative treatment of stocks, as prescribed.
- Maintaining priority list for issue of stocks observing the FIFO principle.
- Undertaking pre-monsoon fumigation.
- Improvement in dunnage material
- Ensuring proper quality checking of food grains at the time of procurement.
Preventive Measures and Monitoring of Losses
- Streamlining of procedure and documentation for transparency and accountability in operations at each level.
- Adoption of 50 kg packing to avoid use of hooks
- Double line machine stitching of bags.
- Supervision of loading/unloading operations by the ICCS (Independent Consignment Certification Sqaud)
- MOU is signed between FCI and Ministry of CAF & PD for the last 5 years. One of the parameters of MOU is to bring down/control storage & Transit losses.
- Monitoring of S&T Losses during Monthly Performance Review Meetings at Regional/Zonal/Headquarters levels.
- Transfer of officials whose integrity is found doubtful as per existing instructions.
- Transit Insurance of stocks.
Safeguards for Movement & Storage
- Inspection and monitoring of calibration of weigh-bridges.
- Ensuring that all FCI owned godowns are constructed and maintained on scientific lines for storage of food grains.
- Movement of food grains from one place to another by safe means i. e. normally covered wagons etc.
- Loading of standardized bags as far as possible and leaving 18 inches space near the flap doors.
- Proper weighment and accounting at the time of receipt and issue.