GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF HOME AFFAIRS
UNSTARRED QUESTION NO. 858
TO BE ANSWERED ON THE 23th NOVEMBER, 2016/ Agrahayana 2, 1938 (Saka)
SOURCE OF FUNDS RECEIVED BY SALAFIST NGOS
- SHRI RAJEEV CHANDRASEKHAR
Will the Minister of HOME AFFAIRS be pleased to state:
- Whether Government is aware of the source of funds received by Salafist NGOs under the foreign Contribution Regulation Act (FCRA);
- Whether Government plans to undertake audit and investigation of FCRA funds received and the bonafides of the recipients of these funds so far;
- The measures to check end use of funds received under FCRA;
- The steps Government is taking to curtail illegal transactions, hawala and mispresentation by Salafist NGOs;
- Whether Government is considering overhauling of FCRA guidelines;
- If so, the details thereof; and
- If not, the reasons therefor?
MINISTER OF STATE IN THE MINISTRY OF HOME AFFAIRS
(SHRI KIREN RIJIJU)
- The audit of accounts and investigation of foreign funds received by the recipients are done in accordance with the provisions of Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act, 2010 and Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Rules, 2011.
- Section 18 and 19 of FCRA, 2010 read with Rules made there under require every person receiving foreign contribution to intimate details of such Foreign contribution to the Central Government and maintain an account of foreign contribution received and the manner in which such contribution is utilized. Penal action under the Act is taken against any person for violating the said provisions of law.
- Monitoring of receipt and utilization of Foreign Contribution by persons is undertaken in accordance with the provisions of the FCRA, 2010 and FCRR, 2011. No persons can receive foreign contribution without registration/prior permission. Panel action under the Act is taken against any person for violating the said provisions of law.
- (f) & (g): Presently there is no such proposal to overhaul FCRA guidelines. However, Review of Act & Rules is an ongoing process and necessary amendments are carried out as & when required.