GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
Ministry of Railways
UNSTARRED QUESTION NO: 252
TO BE ANSWERED ON 20.11.2009
Pending Accident Claims in Tribunals
252. Shri Rajeev Chandrasekhar
Will the Minister of Railways be please to state:
(a) the number of accident claims pending as on 1st November, 2009 with various Accident Claims Tribunal, Tribunal-wise;
(b) the number out of them which are more than three years old and less than three years but more than one year old;
(c) the reasons for the delay in their disposal; and
(d) the steps being taken to expedite them?
MINISTER OF STATE IN THE MINISTRY OF RAILWAYS
(SHRI E. AHAMED)
(a) & (b): A statement is attached.
(c): Reasons for delay in settlement of cases are as under:-
(1) Non Availability of heirship title with the claimants.
(2) Adjournment sought by the applicant/their counsel for producing their witnesses or other evidence.
(3) Transfer of claims cases from on Bench to the other
(4) Vacancies of Members from time to time.
(d): Railway Claims Tribunal (RCT) is a quasi judicial body and no time frame is prescribed for disposal of cases. Chairman/RCT is empowered to depute a Member one Bench to the other Bench for holding Circuit Bench to clear the backlog