GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
DEPARTMENT OF DEFENCE
STARRED QUESTION NO. 157
TO BE ANSWERED ON 4.8.2010
Destruction of Official Records of 1971 Indo- Pak War
*157 SHRI RAJEEV CHANDRASEKHAR:
Will the minister of DEFENCE be pleased to state:
- Whether it is a fact that official records of the 1971 India- Pakistan war at Eastern Army Command Headquarters, Kolkata, including documents pertaining to creation of Mukti Bahini, assessment made by army during the war period, orders issued to fighting formations and other sensitive operational details have been deliberately destroyed:
- If so, whether an enquiry has been ordered to look into the matter, and if so, the findings of the enquiry and action taken, if any, against the guilty; and
- Steps taken by the Government to ensure that invaluable national documents/ records are kept safe and preserved for posterity?
MINISTER OF DEFENCE
(SHRI A.K. ANTONY)
- The official records of the 1971 India- Pakistan War pertaining to Mukti Bahini held by Eastern Army Command Headquarters, Kolkata have not been destroyed.
- Does not arise in view of (a) above.
- All documents of historic value are preserved